Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Review of "A Moveable Feast"


A Moveable FeastA Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

What a gossip Ernest Hemingway was - his character assassination of F Scott Fitzgerald and Gertrude Stein were amusing but so petty. But the idea of traveling through Europe so cheaply and writing and drinking and knowing fantastic people still inspires. Oh to live on $5 a day and travel from France to Spain.


I'm staying in the ghostly remains of Hemingway's Paris - I am living in a friend of a friend's apartment four houses up from where George Orwell lived in "Down and Out in Paris", I've walked past Hemingway's apartment on 74 rue du Cardinal Lemoine yesterday for a glass of wine, I felt like I saw a pale wan Fitzgerald drive past yesterday... but oh how its changed - touristy restaurants, rowdy british football showing bars, expensive fromageries... but still the allure and the romance remains.


I still feel that Hemingway's descriptions hold up and like American aspiring writers - I too long to live in Paris, write the great American novel, and drink wine and hold forth with likeminded individuals... vive Paris!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment