Friday, March 24, 2006

Fucking blackberries and mannerless boys

So here I am in Amsterdam after several weeks in the Sudan. I'll post my Sudan stuff later for those you not 'lucky' enough to be on the email list. I'm having a rendezvous with the ex boyfriend. After about a year of thinking about it, I decided that it was important to be friends with him and apologize for the way I treated him when my mother died. But something happened to him after we broke up. He became a giant asshole. I think the sweet guy is still down there somewhere but its lost in the giant asshole.

Before I left for Sudan, he emailed me saying he wanted to take a day off while I was here and spend the day with me. Perfect, I thought, because then we can really talk. As the weeks go by and I'm slogging through landmine fields in Sudan and fooling around with tented camp owners (blog entry to follow), I never hear anything from him. So, I email him to ask if we're still going to see each other. I get an 'of course'. Things are not looking good. He comes over the first night and he's okay but still performing for my friends who I am styaing with (also his friends). I tell him that I really want to talk with him about some things. He listens, sort of. Turns out he is back on the market and heavily fucking around.

Last night, I agree to go to a business dinner with him and his friends so we can see each other for a drink before hand. The drink beforehand never materializes and he checks his email constantly on his blackberry throughout dinner. He then has to leave early. My friend says he double-booked me and had a date that night. He promised he would take today off in the afternoon so we could be together. He has a very important conference call at 5pm that he has to be back for. Currently, it's 1:10p and he still hasn't shown for lunch. I'm guessing he just can't face me and talking to me so is purposelly trying to limit the amount of time he spends with me.

What an ass. Those weren't the reasons we broke up six years ago but I guess they are going to be the reasons we break up today. Even if he doesn't want to deal with talking to his ex-girlfriend, doesn't common courtesy or manners dictate that you schedule a block of time as soon as possible, get it over with, and then move on with your life? Or do I live in the Victorian past? I don't think I need to answer my mobile when it rings if I'm talking to other people face to face (or even if I am home alone). I don't have a blackberry because I know I would then stop talking to people all together and just text them.

Anyway, I've just wasted three or four hours in Amsterdam waiting around on this boy. At least now I know I can close the door resoundingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment